Thu, Nov 17|
Science for Climate Action Pavilion
COP27 Panel: Waste Diversion and Segregation
CCAP Executive Director Allison Bender-Corbett will be part of this Global Methane Hub panel during this COP27 event. According to the latest studies, we have a huge methane mitigation opportunity in the waste sector considering a goal of 35% of emissions reduction by 2030.
Time & Location
Nov 17, 2022, 11:00 AM – 12:10 PM
Science for Climate Action Pavilion, South Sinai Governorate 8764001, Egypt
About the Event
COP27 Panel: Waste Diversion and Segregation, a huge opportunity for methane mitigation, and a challenge for ambitious public policy and subnational implementation
Abstract: Methane emissions continue to rise, globally 18% of total emissions came from organic waste. According to the latest studies, we have a huge methane mitigation opportunity in the waste sector considering a goal of 35% of emissions reduction by 2030. Satellites can track methane emissions from landfills, so claims of low emissions or leaking need to be substantiated by measurements and monitoring. During the event, we will discuss the relevance of public policy waste diversion and segregation as an opportunity for the Global South methane mitigation. An OECD analysis on Food Waste/Loss and Organic Fraction of Municipal Solid Waste public policy will be presented, and we will discuss how national and local governments could work and show good examples on public policies, data information, and environmental justice consideration.
The event will be broadcasted here: https://fcs.tv//
- Catherine Stewart, Ambassador for Climate Change, Canada. Opening Remarks, “Reciclo Organicos program” experience and new challenge in 10 Latin American countries.
- Rodolfo Lacy - OECD Director for Climate Action and Environment for Latin America - Special Envoy on Climate Matters to the UN. Analysis of Methane Control Policies from Organic Fraction of Municipal Solid Waste.
- Carolina Leitao, President of the Chilean Association of Municipalities, and Mayor of Peñalolen.
- Barthélémy Dias, Mayor of Dakar, and Member of the National Assembly of Sénégal.
- Lisa Moon, CEO of the Global Foodbanking Network.
- Christie Keith, International Coordinator and Executive Director of GAIA U.S.
- Allison Bender, Executive Director at CCAP; Reciclo Organicos Program
- Carolina Urmeneta, Waste & Circular Economy Program Director, Global Methane Hub